Latest Drivers for WinTV-USB, WinTV-USB-FM and USB-Live
Note: the operation of WinTV under Windows requires two pieces: a WinTV driver and a WinTV application (the WinTV application is available below in "Latest WinTV Application" section). You cannot run the application without loading the driver.
Latest driver for the WinTV-USB, WinTV-USB-FM and USB-Live for laptop and desktop PC's using USB 1.1 or USB 2.0 This driver will remove and replace any older WinTV-USB driver.
- Download this file (wintvusb_264_23189.exe) and save it to a directory you will remember (for example: C:\)
- Run wintvusb_264_23189.exe. This will unpack the driver and start the driver installation. You do not have to remove the WinTV-USB.
- Halfway through the installation you will be asked to Reboot. Do so to continue the driver installation.
- After rebooting, Windows will display a "New Hardware Found" message, and then go on to install this updated driver.
- Now, download and install the WinTV application (see below).
This driver fixes problems with SoftPVR on some PCs and laptops.
This driver supports better video quality on some VGA cards by using "VMR". To turn this on, click Windows Start / Programs / Hauppauge WinTV / Primary and then select "Allow VMR".
If your VGA card does not support VMR, then chose "Allow Overlay".
This driver supports either analog audio into your PC, or audio over the USB bus.
Audio over USB is simpler to connect, but analog audio through the supplied "Audio cable" into a sound card gives higher quality audio sound. Most desktop PC's and some laptop computers have a jack on their soundcard marked "Line In". If your PC or laptop has a "LineIn" jack, we recommend connecting the WinTV-USB's "analog audio output" to your sound card.
This driver supports either analog audio into your PC, or audio over the USB bus. Audio over USB is simpler to connect, but analog audio into a sound card gives higher quality audio sound. Most desktop PC's and some laptop computers have a jack on their soundcard marked "Line In". If your PC or laptop has a "LineIn" jack, we recommend connecting the WinTV-USB's "analog audio output" to your sound card.
To switch between digital and analog audio, on the WinTV2000 application click "Menu", then "Audio Type" and then select:
- Analog Rec+Live: audio goes over the supplied Audio cable to your PC or laptop's "Line In" jack
- Digital Rec/Analog Live: While watching live TV, audio goes over the supplied Audio cable. While recording, audio goes over the USB cable.
- Digital Rec+Live: audio goes over the USB cable while watching Live TV and while recording. This mode should be used if your PC or laptop DOES NOT have a Line In jack.
Updated: July 1, 2005
To install, copy this file to a temporary directory on your local disk. Then run wintv2k_412_24054.exe, which will install the new WinTV2000 application.
For support of the new Hauppauge remote control and the Hauppauge IR RemoteBlaster, use the latest IR Remote Control and IRBlaster Setup program. (found in the Accessories section of this page).
Size: 2.5 Mb
Updated: Jan. 11, 2006
WinTV Radio application for use with WinTV version 6
- this application runs with WinTV version 6 on WinTV boards equipped with FM radio
- WinTV v7 has a built-in FM radio application
To install, download to a temporary directory and run RADIO32.EXE
New features include 30 presets and local/distance reception. Also, name radio stations by creating a preset and then clicking on the freq display and typing in the string you want.
Click here to see instructions on using the new WinTV Radio32 application.
Size: 340 KB
Updated: June 3, 2008
This version allows 'background recording' on dual tuner WinTV products.
This version also supports Hauppauges' Wing, for creating iPod and Sony PSP videos from your standard definition MPEG-2 recordings (note: Wing requires the purchase of a license. For more information, go to http://www.hauppauge.com/site/wing/).
Updated: February 23, 2005
None at thie time.
3rd Party Applications
SnapStream Beyond TV™ 3: Networked Personal Television for your WinTV
SnapStream Beyond TV™ 3 (previously Personal Video Station) gives the Hauppauge WinTV users the best networked personal television experience.
- No subscription fees EVER!
- Never miss your favorite show - record single episodes, all episodes or all new episodes
- Watch videos anywhere on your home network and on the road
- Enjoy the FREE integrated program guide
- Schedule online - use any web-enabled device to schedule recordings, even when you aren't at home!
- Use SmartSkip™ to create "chapters" that allow you to skip commercials and other parts of TV shows
- Watch Live TV - Pause, skip ahead 30 seconds, use instant replay and rewind/fast forward at up to 60x speed!
- Shrink files with ShowSqueeze™ - copy and replay on a laptop or other portable devices
- Download a FREE evaluation copy today!
Hardware Requirements for BeyondTV 3:
- WinTV-PVR with hardware MPEG encoder: Intel Celeron® or AMD Athlon 600 MHz and above
- WinTV without hardware MPEG encoder: Intel Pentium 4® or AMD Athlon 1.4 GHz and above
What operating system can my "WinTV-USB" be installed under?
NOTE: The latest drivers for the WinTV USB are available in the Apps/Drivers section.
Minimum System Requirements to Install WinTV-USB
- 733Mhz Pentium or faster
- Windows 98, WindowME, Windows2000 or WindowsXP
- Sound card with LINE IN
WinTV-USB (model 400xx)
This default setting requires the supplied double ended stereo cable to be connected from the Line-Out on the WinTV-USB to the Line-In on your sound card.
WinTV-USBpro (model 402xx)
The usb pro can use either analog or digital audio. To use analog audio use the supplied double ended stereo cable to be connected from the Line-Out on the WinTV-USB to the Line-In on your sound card.
WinTV-USB Pro, Enabling Audio over USB
NOTE: To use digital audio do not connect the audio cable between the wintv and your sound card
After you complete the WinTV-USB driver installation, the default Audio setting is Digital Rec/Analog live. This means that digital audio when recording and analog audio when watching live TV. Digital audio is audio sent over the USB cable, while analog audio is audio sent via the audio cable from the WinTV-USB to the sound card in your laptop.
You can see the Audio setting by clicking the Menu button in WinTV:
You can see the Audio setting by clicking the Menu button in WinTV:
To enable the audio over USB when watching live TV, click on the Menu button and go to Audio Type and select Digital Rec+Live.
Last, you will be asked to Restart the WinTV application to have the changes take effect.
Causes for System Lockups
Black Screen in WinTV
There is no Audio from the WinTV-USB (analog audio)
First, be sure that the supplied audio cable is connected from the WinTV USB to the Sound Cards LINE-IN. NOTE: On some systems that do not have an actual "line in", substitute "Auxiliary"(AUX), or "Microphone"(Mic) for the configuration procedures below.
In the WinTV USB Application, under CONFIGURE- AUDIO, be sure that the MIXER-ID list shows "Line-in", that MUTE is not checked, and that the volume is up.
Also, in the sound card volume configuration (under PROGRAMS- ACCESSORIES-ENTERTAINMENT-VOLUME CONTROL), be sure that the LINE-IN section is not on MUTE (as it commonly is on default) and that the volume is up.If there is no “Line-in” section on your mixer, go to OPTIONS / PROPERTIES and check “Playback” and then check “Line-in” in the "Show the following Volume Controls:" box below. This will add the “Line-in” section to your mixer. When adding a section to your mixer, it will usually added with the MUTE box checked, so be sure to uncheck this box.
NOTE: The WinTV USB provides MONO audio only.
Error Messages when attempting to run WinTV32 or WinTV2000
Can I view Closed Captioning data with the WinTV-USB?
The audio is not recorded when I capture video (analog audio)
It is actually the Sound Card that will capture the Audio portion when using WinTV.
If you do not record the Audio when you are capturing Video Clips, you want to make sure that the sound card's Line In mixer is setup to Record audio. Sometimes they are set for Playback only. To Check this, click on Start - Accessories - Entertainment (or Multimedia), in the Windows Volume Control, go to Options then Properties. In here click on the Recording Bullet. Below you should see the Mixers that are set to record make sure that the Line In is checked and click on OK. Then make sure that it is not muted. Try to record some audio through the Line In jack using Windows' Sound Recorder. This program is found in the Multimedia group.
If you can record audio using the Sound Recorder, then you should be able to capture audio with the capture program.
Prodinfo: get information on your Hauppauge TV tuner
Prodinfo.exe is a program you can run which will extract information about the WinTV product you have installed such as model and serial number, MAC address, revision, and features which can be used to identify the exact model of your product. The driver for the device must be installed in order to run Prodinfo.exe
HCWClear: remove the Hauppauge driver and applications from your PC
HCWCLEAR.exe is a program you run to remove all driver and files that were installed with the installation of the WinTV program.