- Model Numbers
- Firmware update
- Hauppauge Capture
HD PVR Rocket: carry a personal HD video recorder in your pocket!
Record your Xbox One, PS4*, Xbox 360, PS3 and PC game play in full 1080p HD!
HD PVR Rocket is portable and USB bus powered. Record your best game play at gaming events or at your friends home. Simply plug a USB thumb drive into the slot on the front of the Rocket and you can start recording from your games console or PC.
HD PVR Rocket records video at up to 1080p and can record from either HDMI (without HDCP protection) or Component Video.
- Pocket sized, stand alone video recorder. With built-in microphone mixer for recording game commentary
- Record Xbox, PlayStation and PC games
- USB powered for portable recording
- Also supports PC connect mode for recording and uploading to YouTube
* The PS4 currently requires an update from Sony to allow recording of gameplay.
HD PVR Rocket Overview
Record your game commentary with Rocket's built-in audio mixer
HD PVR Rocket has a build-in audio mixer, so you can record game commentary while you record your video game play. Simply plug a microphone into the mic jack on the front of the Rocket, and then use the mixer panel (conveniently mounted on top of the Rocket) to adjust the volume of your microphone before it's mixed with your game audio. Your recordings will have the audio from your game along with your game commentary!
Record your videos to a USB thumb drive
When used stand alone, the Rocket records your videos to a USB thumb drive. Simply plug a thumb drive into the connector mounted on the front of the Rocket, plug the USB power cable into a USB port on your game console, and start recording!
Make your own YouTube channel and share your best game play with your friends
Once you have made your recordings, you can share them with your friends on YouTube. Make your own YouTube channel and get famous!
Amazing HD audio and video quality
HD PVR Rocket records at resolutions up to 1080P30 using H.264 video compression. The H.264 format is used by Blu-ray discs and exceeds other video compression standards in quality and disk space consumption, providing a crisp image and amazing digital sound. H.264 uses 1/3 the disk space compared with the popular MPEG-2 format.
Rocket can also be connected to your PC to make game recordings directly to your computer's disk
HD PVR Rocket also can be connected to your PC so your recordings can go directly to the disk drive inside your PC. Use the Hauppauge Capture application to record game play, trim your videos and upload them to YouTube.
HD PVR Rocket for PC gamers: your personal HD recorder for your game play
Record your best gaming moves without slowing down your PC. The video compression is done inside HD PVR Rocket so you can record your PC game play in HD without slowing down your PC. Simply plug the HDMI out from your PC gaming system into the HD PVR 2, and then connect HD PVR Rocket to your TV monitor.
model 01530: HD PVR Rocket special Best Buy edition
model 01540: HD PVR Rocket and English manual
Included in the box
- HD PVR Rocket high definition H.264 personal video recorder, with USB 2.0 port for recording to thumb drives and a built-in microphone mixer. USB 2.0 or 3.0 bus powered
- USB power cable, with ‘Y’ for connecting to game consoles or for PCs
- 2 meter HDMI cable to connect to your TV monitor
- Component video cable with Hauppauge A/V adapter cable to connect to a PS3
- Quick start guide
- Xbox One
- Xbox 360
- PS4 (with update from Sony)
- PS3 (using Component video cable supplied with the HD PVR Rocket)
- PC game systems (requires HDMI output on your PC game system)
- Some retro game consoles such as the Nintendo 64
- Hardware encoder:
- H.264 AVCHD high definition video encoder, video encode up to 1080p30 from HDMI or component video.
- No delay HDMI pass through:
- HDMI or component in to HDMI out.
- Recording data rate:
- 1 to 18 Mbits/sec.
- Recording formats:
- MP4 in standalone mode, TS in PC connected mode.
- USB thumb drive compatibility
- USB 2.0 or USB 3.0
- Size: from 1GB to 32GB
- Minimum transfer rate: 2.5 Mbytes/sec
- External hard disc compatibility: any self powered external storage drive with at least 2.5Mbytes/sec transfer rate
- Audio mixer:
- Mixes game audio with microphone audio
- Supports both powered and unpowered microphones.
- Microphone volume adjust, +20db boost and mute.
- Input/output connections:
- HDMI from Xbox, PC game systems or other HDMI sources without HDCP.
- Component video in from a PS3 with stereo audio.
- 3.5mm microphone jack.
- USB thumb drive connector.
- HDMI output.
- 4.75 inches x 3.5 inches x 1.5 inches.
- 5v @ 0.9 amps
- Weight: 4.6 oz
- Bundled with Hauppauge Capture
- Record your game play to your PC.
- Record game commentary with game audio.
- Fast trim.
- Upload to YouTube.
Upgrade your HD PVR Rocket to the latest features with a firmware update
Features and improvements
- Rocket recordings are now compatible with the VLC media player
- Audio processing improvements (your recordings will sound better)
- Fixes flashing on some TV sets
- This version now supports HDCP management. HDCP detection is disabled by default (this will ensure Xbox One game play can be recorded)
- To turn HDCP detect ON, PUSH and HOLD the record button for 5 seconds. The red record ring will flash twice.
- To turn HDCP detect back OFF, PUSH and HOLD the record button for 5 seconds and the red record ring will flash once.
Upgrade your Rocket from your PCFirmware version 33
To upgrade your firmware
- Click the Download button above (this is the Rocket Windows driver and latest Rocket firmware). Save to your PC (do not click Run).
- Connect your Rocket to your PC using the BLACK USB power cable.
- Run the downloaded file.
- Click Install and the firmware upgrade will begin. Your Rocket will blink for a few seconds and then the firmware update will be complete
- Click Finish
You can now either disconnect your Rocket and use it in the standalone mode, or you can continue to leave it connected to your PC and use Rocket with Hauppauge Capture.
Manual Rocket firmware update (from a USB thumb drive)Firmware version 33
- Turn the Rocket off by disconnecting the USB Power Cable
- Copy jedi.img to root of USB thumb drive
- Plug the USB thumb drive into HD PVR Rocket
- Reconnect USB Power Cable
- The RED Ring will flash. This means the Rocket firmware upgrade is in progress
- Please wait 30 seconds and unplug/replug your USB cable to complete the process
The new Hauppauge Capture application for the HD PVR Rocket
Record, trim and upload your game play
Hauppauge Capture features:
- Record your game play with in-game chat with our microphone mixing feature
- Simple and fast trim editor
- Built-in YouTube upload
- Simple to use video quality selector and scaling options
Download Hauppauge Capture:
New features in this version:
- Now supports the HD PVR Rocket for recording game play on your PC
- Image capture now captures at full native HD resolution (e.g. 1080p)
- Hotkey to capture screenshots (F2) can be reassigned in C:\users\public\hauppauge capture\config.xml
- Timer function to set recording for a specific period of time
- Recordings made in WinTV v7 now work in Hauppauge Capture
- Add support for French, German, Italian and Spanish
- New settings in the Advanced menu: brightness and contrast settings
- Screen saver and sleep mode are now disabled while recording
Frequently asked questions
The HD PVR Rocket is a high definition H.264 portable video recorder. The Rocket can receive video from either HDMI or compenent video and will record up to 1080p30 onto an attached USB thumb drive. The Rocket is USB bus powered and can be powered by a USB port on your Xbox or Playstation game system. The Rocket has a built-in audio mixer which will take microphone audio and mix it with game audio so you can add game commentary to your game play recordings.
The Rocket can also be connected to a PC, which we call the 'PC connected mode'. In this mode, recordings are made to the hard disk inside your PC and the USB thumb drive is not used.
The Rocket can be used either with or without a PC. When used standalone it records to a USB thumb drive which is plugged into the front of the Rocket. When connected to a PC, the Rocket records to your PCs hard disk drive.
The rocket can record any source with either component video out or HDMI without HDCP. Common examples: PS3, XBOX360, Xbox One, PC Graphics card, Cable or Satellite set top box.
The Rocket records in all standard video resolutions: 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p as well as several PC specific resolutions.
The rocket can record up to 1080p at 30 frames per second.
The rocket can record up to 1080p at 30 frames per second.
Yes, the Rocket has a no delay pass-thru so you can see your game on your TV set and at the same time, record your game play.
The red button is used to start and stop recordings while in standalone mode.
While in standalone mode, recordings are aved on a USB flash drive which is plugged into the front of the Rocket.
When in the PC connected mode, recordings are saved to your PC's hard drive.
Recording length is only limited by the size of your USB thumb drive. For example, a 16Gb USB thumb drive can hold up to 4 hours of video.
*PLEASE NOTE*: When recording to a USB thumb drive, your recordings are formatted in 2Gb file "chunks".
Yes. When the Rocket is used stand alone, you can plug your microphone or your headset's microphone into the 'Mic input' jack on the front of the Rocket. Then you can use the mixer panel on the top of Rocket to adjust your audio volume. In the stand alone mode, the recordings made onto the USB thumb drive are in one audio track.
Blinking Blue - No Video
Blinking Red - No Thumb Drive
Blinking Green - HDCP
Solid Green - Ready to Record
Red Record Ring - Recording!
When used stand alone, the Rocket does not need any software to operate.
But the Rocket can also be connected to a PC so that you can record to the PC's disk drive. This is called 'PC connected mode of operation'. When PC connected, the Rocket works with our Hauppauge Capture software for recording and most third party editors for editing.
The red end of the USB cable is for power only: this is used when recording in standalone mode. The black end of the USB cable is used when operating in PC mode.
This panel controls microphone settings. You can adjust the microphone audio volume, mute the microphone or add a +20db audio boost (used with unpowered microphones).
Yes. If you have a cable TV or satellite TV set top box with component video outputs, you can connect it to the Rocket.
No, the rocket is powered by the USB ports on either your PC or game console. IF you are trying to record a source without a usb port you can use a standard USB power adapter as long as it is rated at 5v 1amp.
No, not at this time.
HD PVR Rocket Videos
An introduction to the HD PVR Rocket
How To Set up the Rocket
Record retro games with your HD PVR Rocket