WinTV Extend - using and installing
New! WinTV v7.2 with WinTV Extend
WinTV Extend overview
WinTV Extend is a Internet video server application built into the WinTV v7.2 application. WinTV Extend runs on Windows based PCs (it currently does not run on a Mac, though TV from WinTV Extend can be watched on a Mac).
WinTV Extend will take the live TV signal from any Hauppauge TV tuner, converts and streams the TV signal into a form which is compatible with an iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch, PC or Mac computer over a WiFi connection or over a cell phone network*.
*Cell phone network streaming is only supported through Safari browser on Apple products listed above.
* Android power devices are currently no longer supported due to Adobe removing Flash from these devices. A native app is currently being worked on.
To run WinTV Extend, you need to have a WinTV TV tuner in your PC, and your PC needs to be connected to either a home WiFi network or the Internet.
On your iPhone/iPad/iPod touch, all you need is the Safari browser which comes with all Apple devices. If you are using a Mac or a PC, all you need is a browser (Safari recommended on the Mac) and a Flash video player.
WinTV v7.2 with WinTV Extend is available from the Hauppauge webstore at a cost of $9.95 (plus shipping). You can order it from:
If you click on the Gallery tab, you will find some screen shots of an iPhone receiving video from WinTV Extend. The iPhone pictures show the TV control overlay with Pause and 30 second replay.
WinTV Extend currently runs with the following WinTV TV tuners:All WinTV-HVR TV tuners for North America and Europe, plus the WinTV-NOVA-T, WinTV-NOVA-S and WinTV-MiniStick products in Europe and Asia.
My PC is running very slow when I'm using analog cable TV with WinTV Extend. What can I do to improve my system performance?
I'd like to watch TV on my iPad from outside my house. How do I open a port on my router so that this will work?
For instructions on opening a port on your router, click here.
WinTV v7.2 with Extend
WinTV v7.2 is available from the Hauppauge webstore at a cost of $9.95 (plus shipping).
You can order it from: http://store.hauppauge.com/SoftwareProducts.asp#cd_wintv7
WinTV v7.2 with Extend - software update
File name: wintv7_cd_2.7.exe
File size: 87 Mb
This download is a complete installation package, including drivers for supported WinTV products plus the WinTV v7 application and utilities.
A valid WinTV application CD-ROM will be needed to install this WinTV v7 version. Any WinTV v6 or WinTV 7 application CD can be used during the install. If you do not have your original WinTV CD-ROM but would like to update to WinTV v7, you can purchase a new CD on the Hauppauge webstore for $9.95
If you have a WinTV v7.2 CD-ROM with Extend, then the latest version of WinTV Extend will also be installed.
To install the WinTV v7 application update
- Download the WinTV v7 installation package to your PC. After downloading this file, the file is normally saved in the Download directory on your PC
- Run Setup.exe from the Download directory on your PC
- Click Step 1. Install Drivers. This will install the WinTV Windows driver. At the completion of the driver install, you should see a message which says Drivers have been updated sucessfully.
- Click Step 2. Install WinTV. This will install the WinTV v7 application, 'middleware', TV services and other necessary files.
This will complete the driver and application installation for your WinTV.
Supported WinTV products:
This version of WinTV v7 is for digital TV, both QAM and ATSC, plus analog cable TV. It can be used with the following WinTV products:
- HD PVR (all models)
- HD PVR 2 (all models)
- WinTV-DCR-2650 digital CableCARD receiver
In addition, WinTV v7 can be used with the European equivalents of the above models (for example, the WinTV-HVR-2200)
Release notes for WinTV v7:
- Fixes an issue where sometimes in progress recordings wouldn't start in the LiveTV window
- Fixes an issue with no audio on Radio channels
- Fixes an issue with duplicate identical ClearQAM channels ending up on the same channel number
- Fixes an issue with DVB-C duplicate channels sending up on the same channel number
- Fixed an issue where a cancelled schedule would not allow another schedule to be added in it's place.
- New Features
- Supports SPDIF output for AC3 Audio
- Supports multiple HVR-1900/1950
Beta versions of WinTV v7
None at this time.
WinTV Extend Quick Install Guide
Get information on configuring your router at home so that WinTV Extend can send live TV over the Internet.
Prodinfo.exe is a program you can run which will extract information about the WinTV product you have installed such as model and serial number, MAC address, revision, and features which can be used to identify the exact model of your product. The driver for the device must be installed in order to run Prodinfo.exe
HCWCLEAR.exe is a program you run to remove all driver and files that were installed with the installation of the Wintv program.