Latest Windows driver and WinTV application
Note: to use the WinTV-HVR-1150 with the Windows Media Center application, click the Windows Media Center install tab above.
Note: If you have run HCWCLEAR, you must reboot your PC and leave the WinTV-HVR-1150 installed. After a reboot you will see the Found New Hardware Wizard installation message, hit Cancel. then continue below.
To install the Windows driver only:
- Download the WinTV-HVR driver update: 713drv_30031
- Unzip this file to a directory you will remember, such as WINTV. It will create a new folder. To install, open the folder.
- Run HCWDRIVERINSTALL.EXE.
- This will install the WinTV-HVR base driver. At the completion of the driver install, you should see a message which says Drivers have been updated successfully.
Size: 1.1 MB
WinTV version 7 application and driver
WinTV v7 application and TV tuner driver download package
Note: A valid WinTV application CD-ROM will be needed to install this WinTV v7 version
Any WinTV 7 application CD can be used during the install. If you do not have your original WinTV CD-ROM but would like to update to WinTV v7 or WinTV v8, you can purchase a new CD on the Hauppauge webstore for $9.95
To install the WinTV v7 application update
- Download the WinTV v7 installation package to your PC. After downloading this file, the file is normally saved in the Download directory on your PC
- Insert your original valid WinTV CD in your CD-ROM drive
- Run wintv7_cd from the Download directory on your PC
WinTV v7 installation package, version 3.9g
For Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista and XP
File name: wintv7_cd_3.9g.exe
File size: 151.4 MB
This download is a complete installation package, including drivers for supported WinTV products plus the WinTV v7 application and utilities.
A valid WinTV application CD-ROM will be needed to install this WinTV v7 version. Any WinTV v6 or WinTV 7 application CD can be used during the install. If you do not have your original WinTV CD-ROM but would like to update to WinTV v7, you can purchase a new CD on the Hauppauge webstore for $9.95
If you have a WinTV v7.2 CD-ROM with Extend, then the latest version of WinTV Extend will also be installed.
To install WinTV v7 on a PC or laptop without a CD-ROM drive
If your PC or laptop does not have a CD-ROM drive, do the following:
- at the conclusion of the installation a dialog box will pop up saying "Activation required"
- Click Enter Product Code
- You will find the Product code on your WinTV v7 Installation CD
- Enter the Product code including dashes and dots
Release notes for WinTV v7 version 3.9G:
- Update to the WinTV-HVR-955Q driver to fix problems seen when switching channels quickly
- Fixed an error "You do not have access to make the required system configuration modifications..."
- Increased Pause Buffer bar size
- Fixed TitanTV tvpi file association bug
- New WinTV-NOVA-HD-USB 2 driver to fix issues in Turkey and other countries with low symbol rates
- New WinTV-HVR-1975 driver to fix issues with 6875 Symbol rate
- Fixed no Extend tab showing on upgrade installation
Windows Media Center
File name: SoftMCE_setup.exe
File size: 2.3 Mb
Setting up your TV tuner in Windows 7 Media Center
Bug fixes for the Windows Media Center "Low bit rate" error message
Microsoft has released Windows Media Center patches for the "Low bit rate" error message.
Click to view the information from Microsoft.
Remapping clear QAM channels in Windows 7 Media Center
Accessory software for the WinTV-HVR-1150
WinTV Digital Signal Strength Indicator
The WinTV Digital Signal Strength indicator displays information about the quality of the digital TV channel you are watching. This application is used with the WinTV v7 and WinTV v8 applications.
IR Remote control application
Remote control applet. After you run this applet, an icon will appear in your Windows device tray showing that the Hauppauge remote control is active..
Updated: April /2015
WinTV-Scheduler update for WinTV version 6
TV Scheduler version 25_26071.exe
This TV program scheduler for WinTV version 6 allows 'background recording' on dual tuner WinTV products.
Size: 3.8 MB
Updated: March 11, 2008
Soft MCE driver
This file is required for analog TV in Windows Media Center.
Size: 2.2 MB
3rd Party Applications
Is a free Personal Video Recorder (PVR) and Media Centre application for Microsoft Windows.
SnapStream Beyond TV™ 4 : "Proving that a PC can rival TIVO" !
- Supports the latest Hauppauge TV tuners.
- Record more than one show at the same time or watch one while recording another with multi-tuner support
- Record an entire TV series Record one show, every episodes, or only new episodes of your favorite show
- Enjoy the full screen interface Choose shows and setup recordings from the comfort of your couch
- Easily find shows using the integrated Electronic Program Guide (EPG)
- Record and watch HDTV shows with over-the-air HD support on the WinTV-HVR-1250
- Skip commercials with SmartSkip™
- Find shows faster with the new browse by category feature, or search by title or keyword
- No subscription fees
- Schedule recordings away from home via the Internet or a web-ready phone
- Download FREE 21-day trial today
WinTV-HVR-1150 QuickInstall Guides
WinTV-HVR-1150 QuickInstall version 1.2Updated: January 19, 2010
- Microsoft® Windows® XP, XP Pro or Windows XP Media Center Edition, with Service Pack 2.
- Windows Vista (all versions), 32-bit and 64-bit
- Windows 7 both 32 and 64 bit versions
- Processor Requirements (minimum):
- 2.2 GHz Intel P4 or equivalent
- Microsoft Windows Vista or Windows XP with Service Pack 2.
WinTV-HVR-1150 is Windows Vista Premium certified*
- Available PCI Express X1 or X16 slot
- Graphics with 64MB memory (or greater)
- Sound card
Yes, the WinTV-HVR-1150 can be used in Windows 7, Windows XP or Vista Media Center.
Simply download and install the latest drivers from the Hauppauge website, which will install the necessary "Hauppauge MCE Soft Encoder".
Please note: you will only be able to configure WinTV-HVR-1150 as either an Digital tuner or an Analog tuner. You will not be able to switch between Digital and Analog channels.
NOTE: You must set up an analog TV tuner in Media Center first before you can proceed to set up a digital tuner.
NTSC Analog CableTV or over-the-air analog TV: You can use your cable TV from the wall to connect to the WinTV-HVR-1150 and receive all of your basic Cable TV channels. You can also use a roof top antenna to receive "over-the-air" TV.
ATSC over-the-air digital TV: Supports all ATSC formats, up to the high definition 1080i format!
ClearQAM cable TV Channels: Clear QAM are unencrypted digital cable TV channels.
NOTE: For ATSC digital TV, a rooftop/out door antenna is recommended for optimal results/signal strength.
NOTE: To save your WinTV channel list, you may save the file HcwChanDB_5.mdb (which is located in the C:/users/public/wintv:for vista/windows 7 or C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\WinTV: for XP) into a temporary folder, and copy this file back into the WinTV directory after any re-installation to preserve your channel list.
With the WinTV-HVR-1150, you can record both analog and digital TV into the MPEG-2 format.
For ATSC and Clear QAM digital TV recordings, the recording format and bit rate is exactly the same as the broadcast format (i.e. ATSC 1080i is recorded at 1080i).
For NTSC analog cable Tv recordings, our SoftPVR is used to create MPEG-2 files
Note: Recordings made with ATSC or ClearQAM signals are not DVD compliant.
No. The WinTV-HVR-950 will only be able to record the program that is being viewed using the supplied software.
You will not be able to watch a digital channel and record an analog channel simultaneously or vice versa due to the fact there is only a single tuner on the WinTV-HVR-1150.
If you are watching a digital TV channel and you see choppy video, no audio or a black screen, then it is possible your PC is not fast enough to decode and play the digital TV channel you are watching.
Digital TV, especially ATSC high definition digital TV, is very CPU intensive. Many graphics cards have special built-in hardware to speed up decoding of high definition TV channels.
On graphics cards without special video decoding features, you can often improve the playback performance by using the Primary.EXE program (this program is installed during the installation of the WinTV driver and can be found in the Hauppauge WinTV group).
Close the WinTV application. The run Primary. Select Allow Overlay. Close Primary and run the WinTV application. Tune to the channel which you were having problems with and see if the video display has improved. (Note: in Primary mode, you cannot use the Snapshot function in the WinTV application).
If not, try the VMR7 setting. Close the WinTV application. The run Primary. Select VMR7. Close Primary and run the WinTV application and see if the video display has improved.
If not, try the VMR9 setting. Close the WinTV application. The run Primary. Select VMR9. Close Primary and run the WinTV application and see if the video display has improved.
You should be able to use one of these modes on most NVidea, ATI and Intel based graphics adapters for high definition digital TV channels.
If you still get choppy video or a black screen, then there is no graphics mode which will work with all high definition programs. You still will be able to watch standard definition digital TV programs.
In the WinTV application, click on the Menu button, then click Suite Manager. Choose Sources, and click on Composite source (or S-Video source). In the Channel Name box, type in a name for your video source and click the Save button.
This will create a composite video channel (or S-Video channel) in your channel suite manager.
I’m receiving a flickering video image using my WinTV product installed on a Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4P motherboard?
Click to view the information from Microsoft.
WinTV v7 does not open or opens and then disappears?
This can be caused by a corrupt Channel database so you will need to uninstall and reinstall. First you need to go to start, all programs, Hauppauge Wintv and in that folder run
“uninstall Wintv7” (or remove Wintv7 using control panel "add/remove programs) then you need to remove the backup channel database.
Windows Vista, 7 and 8 go to C:\program data ( this folder is a hidden folder so if you do not see it you need to “show hidden folders “ in your search
Options) once you can get to this folder you will see a folder label “Hauppauge” delete this folder.
Windows XP go to C:\documents and settings\all users\shared documents\application data ( this folder is a hidden folder so if you do not see it you need to “show hidden folders “ in your search Options) once you can get to this folder you will see a folder label “Hauppauge” delete this folder.
Then download the latest version of Wintv7 located in the support section of the website and reinstall (note: you must have your original CD to validate the download.)
Prodinfo: get information on your Hauppauge TV tuner
Prodinfo.exe is a program you can run which will extract information about the WinTV product you have installed such as model and serial number, MAC address, revision, and features which can be used to identify the exact model of your product. The driver for the device must be installed in order to run Prodinfo.exe
HCWClear: remove the Hauppauge driver and applications from your PC
HCWCLEAR.exe is a program you run to remove all driver and files that were installed with the installation of the WinTV program.