Support: Software for WinTV-HVR-1600
- Windows Media Center Install
- 3rd Party
- Remote Control
Latest applications and driver updates
Note: This driver/application download contains all the drivers and applications necessary to reinstall the
Note: to use the WinTV-HVR-1600 with Windows Media Center application, you only need the WinTV-HVR driver.
WinTV v7 for use with the WinTV-HVR-1600.
WinTV v7 application and TV tuner driver download package
File name: wintv7_cd_3.9c.exe
File size: 151.4 MB
This download is a complete installation package, including drivers for supported WinTV products plus the WinTV v7 application and utilities.
A valid WinTV application CD-ROM will be needed to install this WinTV v7 version. Any WinTV v6 or WinTV 7 application CD can be used during the install. If you do not have your original WinTV CD-ROM but would like to update to WinTV v7, you can purchase a new CD on the Hauppauge webstore for $9.95
If you have a WinTV v7.2 CD-ROM with Extend, then the latest version of WinTV Extend will also be installed.
To install the WinTV v7 application update
- Download the WinTV v7 installation package to your PC. After downloading this file, the file is normally saved in the Download directory on your PC
- Insert your original valid WinTV CD in your CD-ROM drive
- Run Setup.exe from the Download directory on your PC
This will complete the driver and application installation for your WinTV.
To install WinTV v7 on a PC or laptop without a CD-ROM drive
If your PC or laptop does not have a CD-ROM drive, do the following:
- at the conclusion of the installation a dialog box will pop up saying "Activation required"
- Click Enter Product Code
- You will find the Product code on your WinTV v7 Installation CD
- Enter the Product code including dashes and dots
Release notes for WinTV v7 version 3.9C:
- Fixed an error "You do not have access to make the required system configuration modifications..."
- Increased Pause Buffer bar size
- Fixed TitanTV tvpi file association bug
- New NOVA-HD-USB 2 driver to fix issues in Turkey and other countries with low symbol rates
- New HVR-1975 driver to fix issues with 6875 Symbol rate
- Fixed no Extend tab showing on upgrade installation
To install the latest driver:
- Download the WinTV-HVR-1600 driver update: 1_62_28243
- Click to install.
- This will install the WinTV-HVR-1600 base driver. At the completion of the driver install, you should see a message which says Drivers have been updated successfully.
Size: 1.35 MB
Setting up your TV tuner in Windows 7 Media Center
Here is a screen by screen view of the setup of Windows Media Center. It was based on the WinTV-HVR-1600, but the setup with other WinTV-HVR products will be similar.
Windows Media Center remote control receiver/blaster configuration utility
Use this utility to enable or disable the built-in IR receiver/blaster hardware on the WinTV-HVR-1850 and WinTV-HVR-2250 for use with Windows Media Center. You would disable the built-in IR receiver/blaster if you are using an external USB attached Windows Media Center remote control.
To use this tool:
- Download and install the Hcwcirconfig tool
- After installing the Hcwcirconfig tool, run the program. The tool will be located in Start / All Programs / Hauppauge WinTV / HCWCIRConfig Tool
- To configure as a Windows Media Center remote control, put a check in the box labeled Hauppauge Consumer Infrared Receiver click OK – Save Changes.
- Your computer must be restarted for the changes to take effect.
Bug fixes for the Windows Media Center "Low bit rate" error message
Microsoft has released Windows Media Center patches for the "Low bit rate" error message.
Click to view the information from Microsoft.
Remapping clear QAM channels in Windows 7 Media Center
Here are some instructions on remapping clear QAM TV channels in Windows Media Center.
Accessory software for the WinTV-HVR-1600
WinTV Digital Signal Strength Indicator
The WinTV Digital Signal Strength indicator displays information about the quality of the digital TV channel you are watching. This application is used with the WinTV v6 and WinTV v7 applications.
IR Remote control application
Remote control applet. After you run this applet, an icon will appear in your Windows device tray showing that the Hauppauge remote control is active..
Updated: Oct/ 7 /2010
IR Blaster Configuration programirblast_28025
This program configures the IR blaster for use with the WinTV v7 application. Included is the selection of the set top box and the learn mode.
IR Remote/Blaster Hardware Installation Guide
WinTV-Scheduler update for WinTV version 6
TV Scheduler version 25_26071.exe
This TV program scheduler for WinTV version 6 allows 'background recording' on dual tuner WinTV products.
Size: 3.8 MB
Updated: March 11, 2008
None at this time.
3rd Party Applications
Is a free Personal Video Recorder (PVR) and Media Centre application for Microsoft Windows.
SnapStream Beyond TV™ 4 : "Proving that a PC can rival TIVO" !
- Supports the latest Hauppauge TV tuners.
- Record more than one show at the same time or watch one while recording another with multi-tuner support
- Record an entire TV series Record one show, every episodes, or only new episodes of your favorite show
- Enjoy the full screen interface Choose shows and setup recordings from the comfort of your couch
- Easily find shows using the integrated Electronic Program Guide (EPG)
- Record and watch HDTV shows with over-the-air HD support on the WinTV-HVR-1250
- Skip commercials with SmartSkip™
- Find shows faster with the new browse by category feature, or search by title or keyword
- No subscription fees
- Schedule recordings away from home via the Internet or a web-ready phone
- Download FREE 21-day trial today
Linux support for the WinTV-HVR-1600
Linux support for the WinTV-HVR-1600 is in the upcoming kernel 2.6.26 release.
Also, there is WinTV-HVR-1600 Linux support for both the analog TV tuner and the digital TV tuner available at LinuxTV.ORG in the "cx18" section.
WinTV-HVR-1600 installation guides
WinTV-HVR-1600 QuickInstall Guide- English
WinTV-HVR-1600 Media Center Kit QuickInstall Guide- English
WinTV v7 users guide
- Microsoft Windows 8 and 7 -32 bit and 64 bit
- Windows Vista (all versions), 32-bit and 64-bit
- Windows XP, XP Pro or Windows XP Media Center Edition, with Service Pack 2.
- Minimum processor recommended: 2.2 GHz P4 or 1.8 GHz Centrino or equivalent (minimum).
- Graphics display adapter with 64MB of memory (minimum).
- Available PCI slot.
- Sound Card
- CD-ROM drive (for Software installation).
- DVD or CD burner for burning (optional).
The WinTV-HVR-1600 will work with Windows Vista or Windows 7 Media Center. Just use the driver provided on the Hauppauge WinTV-HVR Installation CD. Since the WinTV-HVR-1600 is dual tuner, you will be able to watch and record analog cable TV channels and ATSC digital TV channels at the same time. Windows 7 supports clear QAM digital TV, but Vista Media Center does not currently support clear QAM digital cable TV.
The WinTV WinTV-HVR-1600 can be made to work within the Windows XP Media Center application provided you have the latest updates (roll-up 2) for MCE installed. This update provides support for digital (ATSC) tuning and will allow MCE to recognize the WinTV-HVR-1600 as a tuner in its configuration. Without the latest updates MCE will give the error message “No tuner hardware found”.
Under Vista, there would not be any additional updates required for the WinTV HVR -1600 to operate in Media Center.
NTSC Analog CableTV or over-the-air analog TV: You can use your cable TV from the wall to connect to the WinTV-HVR-1600 and receive all of your basic Cable TV channels. You can also use a roof top antenna to receive "over-the-air" TV.
Note: After June 2009, most areas in the United States no longer broadcast over-the-air analog signals.
ATSC over-the-air digital TV: Supports all ATSC formats, up to the high definition 1080i format!
Note: For ATSC digital TV, a rooftop/out door antenna is recommended for optimal results/signal strength.
ClearQAM cable TV Channels: Clear QAM digital cable TV channels are unencrypted digital cable TV channels. Clear QAM allows users to watch unencrypted digital TV channels from their cable TV provider without a set-top box.
Note: WinTV v7, WinTV v6, Microsoft Windows 7 or Windows TV Pack 2008 for Vista are required for clear QAM reception
Note: Check your local cable TV provider for clear QAM reception over your cable TV network.
* Certain older models (namely the 74551 and 74031) of this product do not support Clear QAM.
Using the WinTV 7 application the WinTV-HVR-1600, will record in a transport stream (TS)
For ATSC and Clear QAM digital TV recordings, the recording format and bit rate is exactly the same as the broadcast format (i.e. ATSC 1080i is recorded at 1080i).
For NTSC analog cable TV recordings, our HardPVR is used to create Transport Stream files (TS)
Note: TS files can be converted to MPEG files using options in the WinTV 7 configuration menu.
Note: The WinTV 6 application recording are in MPEG format for both digital and analog.
Note: Not all recordings made with ATSC/QAM signals are DVD compliant
If you are watching a digital TV channel and you see choppy video, no audio or a black screen, then it is possible your PC is not fast enough to decode and play the digital TV channel you are watching. Please verify that your system meets the minimum requirements for using the HVR-1950
Digital TV, especially ATSC high definition digital TV, is very CPU intensive. Many graphics cards have special built-in hardware to speed up decoding of high definition TV channels.
On graphics cards without special video decoding features, you can often improve the playback performance by using the Video Renderer settings located in the settings menu of WinTV 7. To open the setting menu click on the “gear” button located in the lower left of the WinTV 7 screen.
The default mode is EVR. The other modes are VMR9, VMR7 and Overlay. Each mode uses a different process to render video. Try each mode and use the one which gives you the best results. To use hardware acceleration put a check in the box “use hardware acceleration when possible. This will allow your graphics system to use hardware acceleration for video decode. Note: graphics hardware acceleration does not work on all systems. After making a change in video rendering settings Wintv must be restarted to take effect.
If you are using WinTV 6 then the render options are part of a separate program called Primary. Changes in the Primary applet must be made with the WinTV application closed. Open the Primary program by going to Start – All Programs – Hauppauge WinTV – Primary. After making changes close the Primary applet and open the WinTV application.
Click to view the information from Microsoft.
Digital Broadcasts (ATSC or QAM)
The file size of a digital signal capture depends on the bitrate of the digital signal. The bitrate is set by the broadcaster and cannot be user configured. Bitrates for digital signals can range anywhere from about 1.2 Mbits/sec up to 19.3 Mbits/sec. Most of the time these bitrates are variable and not constant. Capture sizes for ATSC & QAM recordings are approximately 1.7 Gigabytes per hour up to 8.3 Gigabytes per hour.
The WinTV application has to convert analog signals to digital in order to record. There are four recording profiles. The following list shows recording file sizes for burning to 4.3Gb DVD:
Best - Approx 1 Hour+
Better - Approx 1 1/2 Hours
Good - Approx 2 Hours
Fair - Approx 3 Hours
This can be caused by a corrupt Channel database so you will need to uninstall and reinstall. First you need to go to start, all programs, Hauppauge Wintv and in that folder run
“uninstall Wintv7” (or remove Wintv7 using control panel "add/remove programs) then you need to remove the backup channel database.
Windows Vista, 7 and 8 go to C:\program data ( this folder is a hidden folder so if you do not see it you need to “show hidden folders “ in your search
Options) once you can get to this folder you will see a folder label “Hauppauge” delete this folder.
Windows XP go to C:\documents and settings\all users\shared documents\application data ( this folder is a hidden folder so if you do not see it you need to “show hidden folders “ in your search Options) once you can get to this folder you will see a folder label “Hauppauge” delete this folder.
Then download the latest version of Wintv7 located in the support section of the website and reinstall (note: you must have your original CD to validate the download.)
Prodinfo: get information on your Hauppauge TV tuner
Prodinfo.exe is a program you can run which will extract information about the WinTV product you have installed such as model and serial number, MAC address, revision, and features which can be used to identify the exact model of your product. The driver for the device must be installed in order to run Prodinfo.exe
HCWClear: remove the Hauppauge driver and applications from your PC
HCWCLEAR.exe is a program you run to remove all driver and files that were installed with the installation of the Wintv program.