Latest applications and driver updates
Note: If you have run HCWCLEAR, you must reboot your PC and leave the WinTV-HVR-950 installed. After a reboot you will see the Found New Hardware Wizard installation message, hit Cancel. then continue below.
Note: to use the WinTV-HVR-950 with Microsoft's Vista Media Center application, you need the WinTV-HVR driver and SoftMCE.
A valid WinTV v8 or WinTV v7 application CD-ROM or a WinTV v8 installation code will be needed to install this WinTV v8 version. If you do not have your original WinTV CD-ROM but would like to update to WinTV v8, you can purchase a new WinTV v8 CD on the Hauppauge webstore for $9.95. This can then be used to activate WinTV v8.
If you have a WinTV v8 or WinTV v7.2 CD-ROM with Extend, the latest version of WinTV v8 with Extend will also be installed.
WinTV v8 application and TV tuner driver download package
WinTV v8 installer
Version 35051 For Windows 10, 8, and 7
File name: wintv8setup_35051.exe
File size: 202 MB
Date: Feb 21, 2017 Release notes
This download is a complete installation package, including drivers for supported WinTV products plus the WinTV v7 application and utilities.
To install the WinTV v8 application
- Download the WinTV v8 installer to your PC. After downloading this file, it's normally saved in the Download directory on your PC
- Insert your original valid WinTV v8 or WinTV v7 CD in your CD-ROM drive or have available your WinTV serial key
- Run wintv8setup from the Download directory on your PC
- At Activation required, click Check WinTV v7 CD if you have a WinTV v8 or v7 CD or Enter Serial Number if you have a WinTV serial key
This will complete the driver and application installation for your WinTV.
To install WinTV v8 on a PC or laptop without a CD-ROM drive
If your PC or laptop does not have a CD-ROM drive, do the following:
- At the conclusion of the installation a dialog box will pop up saying "Activation required"
- Click Enter Product Code
- You will find the Product code on your WinTV v7 Installation CD
- Enter the Product code including dashes and dots
To find your Product Code
Look at the following guide for finding your product code
- Minimum window size is now smaller.
- ATSC recordings in North America now show Now/Next program information.
- Now showing the recording details and allowing editing of start/finish time, when scheduling from the TV Guide.
- Added a text search field on the Favorites screen.
- Now works with the PCTV 292e for DVB-T2/T/C television
- Now for the WinTV-dualHD and WinTV-soloHD
- Fixed bug with "open scheduler only" window not scheduling correctly.
Setting up your TV tuner in Windows 7 Media Center
Windows Media Center remote control receiver/blaster configuration utility
Use this utility to enable or disable the built-in IR receiver/blaster hardware on the WinTV-HVR-1850 and WinTV-HVR-2250 for use with Windows Media Center. You would disable the built-in IR receiver/blaster if you are using an external USB attached Windows Media Center remote control.
To use this tool:
- Download and install the Hcwcirconfig tool
- After installing the Hcwcirconfig tool, run the program. The tool will be located in Start / All Programs / Hauppauge WinTV / HCWCIRConfig Tool
- To configure as a Windows Media Center remote control, put a check in the box labeled Hauppauge Consumer Infrared Receiver click OK – Save Changes.
- Your computer must be restarted for the changes to take effect.
Remapping clear QAM channels in Windows 7 Media Center
Accessory software for the WinTV-HVR-950
WinTV Digital Signal Strength Indicator
The WinTV Digital Signal Strength indicator displays information about the quality of the digital TV channel you are watching. This application is used with the WinTV v7 and WinTV v8 applications.
IR Remote control application
Remote control applet. After you run this applet, an icon will appear in your Windows device tray showing that the Hauppauge remote control is active..
Updated: April /2015
WinTV-Scheduler update for WinTV version 6
This TV program scheduler for WinTV version 6 allows 'background recording' on dual tuner WinTV products.
Size: 3.8 MB
Updated: March 11, 2008
Soft MCE driver
This file is required for analog TV in Windows Media Center.
Size: 2.2 MB
None at this time.
3rd Party Applications
Is a free Personal Video Recorder (PVR) and Media Centre application for Microsoft Windows.
SnapStream Beyond TV™ 4 : "Proving that a PC can rival TIVO" !
- Supports the latest Hauppauge TV tuners.
- Record more than one show at the same time or watch one while recording another with multi-tuner support
- Record an entire TV series Record one show, every episodes, or only new episodes of your favorite show
- Enjoy the full screen interface Choose shows and setup recordings from the comfort of your couch
- Easily find shows using the integrated Electronic Program Guide (EPG)
- Record and watch HDTV shows with over-the-air HD support on the WinTV-HVR-1250
- Skip commercials with SmartSkip™
- Find shows faster with the new browse by category feature, or search by title or keyword
- No subscription fees
- Schedule recordings away from home via the Internet or a web-ready phone
- Download FREE 21-day trial today
WinTV-HVR-950 QuickInstall Guide
WinTV-HVR-950 QuickInstall version 1.1
Updated: April 21, 2007 WinTV-HVR-950 QuickInstall Guide
WinTV-HVR-950 QuickInstall version 1.2 - French
Updated: September 25, 2006
WinTV version 6 users manual
WinTV version 6 users manual
Updated: October 15, 2007
- Microsoft Windows 7 -32 and 64 bit
- Windows Vista (all versions), 32-bit and 64-bit
- Windows® XP, XP Pro or Windows XP Media Center Edition, with Service Pack 2 (or greater)
- Mac OSX (with Elgato's EyeTV software)
- Minimum processor recommended:
- 2.2 GHz P4 or 1.8 GHz Centrino or equivalent (minimum).
- 2.8 GHz processor for analog TV recording with MPEG-2 (minimum).
- Graphics display adapter with 64MB of memory (minimum).
- Sound card or system.
- USB 2.0 port (will not work with USB 1.1).
- CD-ROM drive (for Software installation).
Yes, the WinTV-HVR-950 can be used in Windows XP MCE 2005, Vista Media Center or WIndows 7 Media Center.. Simply download and install the latest MCE Kit from the Hauppauge website, which will install the driver and necessary "Hauppauge MCE Soft Encoder". Under Windows 7 only the driver is required, the Soft Encoder is included with the OS.
Here is the link: http://hauppauge.lightpath.net/software/mce/mcekit_setup.exe
Please note: you will only be able to configure WinTV-HVR-950 as either an Digital tuner or an Analog tuner. You will not be able to switch between Digital and Analog channels.
NOTE: You must set up an analog TV tuner in Media Center first before you can proceed to set up a digital tuner.
NTSC Analog CableTV or over-the-air analog TV: You can use your cable TV from the wall to connect to the WinTV-HVR-950 and receive all of your basic Cable TV channels. You can also use a roof top antenna to receive "over-the-air" TV.
ATSC over-the-air digital TV: Supports all ATSC formats, up to the high definition 1080i format!
NOTE: For ATSC digital TV, a rooftop/out door antenna is recommended for optimal results/signal strength.
Analog channels are MONO audio only.
Digital channels are STEREO.
Using the WinTV 7 application the WinTV-HVR-950Q, will record in a transport stream (TS)
For ATSC and Clear QAM digital TV recordings, the recording format and bit rate is exactly the same as the broadcast format (i.e. ATSC 1080i is recorded at 1080i).
For NTSC analog cable TV recordings, our SoftPVR is used to create Transport Stream files (TS)
Note: TS files can be converted to MPEG files using options in the WinTV 7 configuration menu.
Note: The WinTV 6 application recording are in MPEG format for both digital and analog.
Note: Not all recordings made with ATSC/QAM signals are DVD compliant.
No. The WinTV-HVR-950 will only be able to record the program that is being viewed using the supplied software.
You will not be able to watch a digital channel and record an analog channel simultaneously or vice versa due to the fact there is only a single tuner on the WinTV-HVR-950.
SStream DShowError: 'Create Filters CLSID_MainConceptMPEGEncoder Class Not Registered (0x80040154)' error when attempting to record?
If using the WinTV 6 application this indicates that the 'Soft PVR' is not installed. To verify Soft PVR installation, look under control panel/add remove programs and you will see the Hauppauge WinTV Soft PVR. To reinstall SoftPVR, install the SoftPVRUpdate.exe from your WinTV CD ROM (located in the SoftPVR folder).
(Note: If a hardware encoder model WinTV is already installed on your system, this will prevent the SoftPVR from installing properly. In order to install SoftPVR in this case, go to device manager and temporarily disable the drivers for the WinTV hardware encoder product. Install the SoftPVR and once completed, you may re-enable the hardware encoder in the device manager.
If you are watching a digital TV channel and you see choppy video, no audio or a black screen, then it is possible your PC is not fast enough to decode and play the digital TV channel you are watching. Please verify that your system meets the minimum requirements for using the HVR-950Q
Digital TV, especially ATSC high definition digital TV, is very CPU intensive. Many graphics cards have special built-in hardware to speed up decoding of high definition TV channels.
On graphics cards without special video decoding features, you can often improve the playback performance by using the Video Renderer settings located in the settings menu of WinTV 7. To open the setting menu click on the “gear” button located in the lower left of the WinTV 7 screen.
The default mode is EVR. The other modes are VMR9, VMR7 and Overlay. Each mode uses a different process to render video. Try each mode and use the one which gives you the best results. To use hardware acceleration put a check in the box “use hardware acceleration when possible. This will allow your graphics system to use hardware acceleration for video decode. Note: graphics hardware acceleration does not work on all systems. After making a change in video rendering settings Wintv must be restarted to take effect.
If you are using WinTV 6 then the render options are part of a separate program called Primary. Changes in the Primary applet must be made with the WinTV application closed. Open the Primary program by going to Start – All Programs – Hauppauge WinTV – Primary. After making changes close the Primary applet and open the WinTV application.
Click to view the information from Microsoft.
WinTV v7 does not open or opens and then disappears?
This can be caused by a corrupt Channel database so you will need to uninstall and reinstall. First you need to go to start, all programs, Hauppauge Wintv and in that folder run
“uninstall Wintv7” (or remove Wintv7 using control panel "add/remove programs) then you need to remove the backup channel database.
Windows Vista, 7 and 8 go to C:\program data ( this folder is a hidden folder so if you do not see it you need to “show hidden folders “ in your search
Options) once you can get to this folder you will see a folder label “Hauppauge” delete this folder.
Windows XP go to C:\documents and settings\all users\shared documents\application data ( this folder is a hidden folder so if you do not see it you need to “show hidden folders “ in your search Options) once you can get to this folder you will see a folder label “Hauppauge” delete this folder.
Then download the latest version of Wintv7 located in the support section of the website and reinstall (note: you must have your original CD to validate the download.)