Hauppauge Capture for USB-Live2
Note: If you have run HCWCLEAR, you must reboot your PC and leave the USB-Live2 installed. After a reboot you will see the Found New Hardware Wizard installation message, hit Cancel. then continue below.
- Plug your Hauppauge product into your PC or power cycle your Hauppauge product ( if this is an upgrade to an existing version of Hauppauge Capture)
- Click the download button above and 'Save' Hauppauge Capture to your PC (do not select 'Run')
- Once Hauppauge Capture is downloaded, run the Hauppauge Capture installation from your 'Download' folder
- If you see the message "Windows Protected Your PC, Windows Smartscreen prevented an unrecognized app ...", click 'More info' and 'Run anyway'. Windows Smartscreen is a new 'feature' in Windows 10 to prevent new updates from being installed automatically.
- After installation, you will be asked to reboot your PC. Please reboot.
- While rebooting your PC, if you have an HD PVR 2 or HD PVR Pro 60, power cycle by removing the power plug or USB cable from the back of the device for a few seconds and then plug it back in. This resets the device.
- Once your PC is rebooted, you will see the Hauppauge Capture icon on your Windows desktop. Run it.
Hauppauge Capture supports the following products:
- HD PVR Pro 60
- HD PVR 2 (all models)
- Colossus 2 and Colossus
- HD PVR Rocket
- ImpactVCBe and ImpactVCB
- HD PVR 60
- HD PVR model 1212
- Note: if you have the Colossus 2, HD PVR 2 model 1512 or the HD PVR 2 GE+, if you have 5.1 channel AC3 audio from HDMI or optical audio, your recordings will have 5.1 channel AC-3 audio
Comments, questions on this version? Please e-mail us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
WinTV v8.5: for video monitor and capture
New product installs:
If you have recently purchased a new WinTV product and your WinTV v8.5 Activation Code has never been used, you can install WinTV v10 with this code. This only applies to unused WinTV v8.5 Activation Codes.
Installation notes for WinTV v8.5:
If you have one of the following products: a Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-850, WinTV-HVR-950, the original Colossus or HD PVR model 1212, you must use WinTV v8 or WinTV v10. WinTV v8.5 does not support these products.
A WinTV v8.5 Activation Code will be needed to install this WinTV v8.5 version. If you do not have an Activation Code, but you have a WinTV v7 CD, you can install the WinTV v8 application.
If you do not have an Activation Code: If you do not have a WinTV v8/8.5 Activation Code, you can purchase the new WinTV v10 Activation Code on the Hauppauge webstore for $12.95. This can be used with WinTV-HVR, WinTV-dual and WinTV-quad products, as well as the HD PVR series of HD recorders plus USB-Live2 and the ImpactVCBe.
Note to WinTV v8 users: If you have a WinTV v8 Activation Code, you can install this WinTV v8.5 version. This only is for WinTV v8 Activation codes and will not work with WinTV v8 or WinTV v7 CD-ROMs.
Extend: If you have an Activation Code for WinTV v8 or v8.5 with Extend, the latest version of WinTV v8.5 with Extend will automatically be installed.
Installation on multiple computers: the WinTV application can be installed on as many PCs as needed as long as you use the same Hauppauge device. We link the serial number of your TV tuner (sometimes it's the MAC address) with the Activation code. So as long as you use the same Hauppauge device, you can install on more than one computer.
WinTV v8.5 application and Windows driver package
This download is a complete WinTV v8.5 application, including Windows drivers for supported WinTV products plus utilities.
WinTV v8.5 Installer
For Windows 10, 8, and 7
To install the WinTV v8.5 application
- Step 1: Download the WinTV v8.5 installer by clicking the download button above. The WinTV v8.5 Installer is normally saved in the Download folder on your PC
- Step 2: Run wintv85setup from the Download folder on your PC. Halfway through the installation, a message will pop up asking for you to enter the Activation Code.
- Step 3: At the Activation required screen, click on Enter Activation code and enter the activation code which was emailed to you, is printed on the WinTV v8 activation card or printed on your WinTV v8 CD. You do not need to enter the dashes, and you can use upper or lower case characters.
- Step 4: When the installation is complete, you will find the WinTV icon on your Windows desktop. Double click on this icon and the WinTV application will run. On the first run of WinTV, it will automatically go through the TV source selection and will scan for channels.
To install the latest driver:
Leave your USB-Live2 plugged into your PC. Follow the following steps:
- Download the Driver10 update
- Run the EXE file.
- This will install the USB-Live2 base driver. At the completion of the driver install you should see a message which says Drivers have been updated successfully.
Third Party Applications
Stream your live video, video + screen, or screen-only along with your audio to viewers via the public Internet.
USB-Live2 Frequently Asked Questions
Which application should I use, Hauppauge Capture or WinTV?
Most people will find Hauppauge Capture easier to use for recording from home video tapes. With Hauppauge Capture, you can quickly record and playback your video recordings.
WinTV is good if you need to have scheduled recording. Like all WinTV scheduled recordings, you can set a time to start and a length of the recording. WinTV is also better to use if you simply want to watch live video. WinTV has the ability to have a small video window 'always on top' of your Windows screen. In addition, for industrial uses, there is the WinTV SDK which would allow you to write a custom Windows application using live video coming from the USB-Live2.
Hauppauge Capture can only have video in the Hauppauge Capture screen or full screen and there is no 'always on top' mode. Because of this, Hauppauge Capture is not as suitable for video monitoring as WinTV is.
Which should I use, S-Video or composite video?
S-Video has twice the video 'bandwidth' as does composite video (the yellow RCA connector commonly found on the back of VCR's, cable TV boxes and video cameras). Therefore, for best video quality, use S-Video if available.
The only problem with S-Video is that many video sources, such as cable TV boxes, have composite video but not S-Video.
What do the LEDs on the side of USB-Live2 mean?
There are two LEDs on USB-Live2:
Blue: this lights when there is power
Green: this lights when the video signal is detected
If you are connected to an S-Video source but in Hauppauge Capture you have 'Composite' video selected, the Green light will NOT be on.
Can I capture video with Adobe Flash Media Encoder Live?
Yes. Please see the following pictures to set the input source on the USB-Live2. Also, the audio needs to be routed from your microphone or other audio source to the "Line in" jack on your PC.
Currently, while you can bring video from USB-Live-2 into the Media Live Encoder, audio from USB-Live-2 is not supported.
This is the Adobe Flash Live Media Encoder main menu
Click the "wrench" icon next to the Hauppauge device.Then click the tab marked "Crossbar" and click "Input". You will see a list of video input sources which USB-Live-2 has. Set the input source to the one you want to use.
USB-Live2 Troubleshooting Guide
Are the colors off when recording or live preview? Lets fix that!
If you are using Hauppauge Capture, you can adjust the color settings in both the preview video and video captures. There are settings which adjust the color controls in the USB-Live2 hardware itself, so your PC doesn't need to do this.
Open Hauppauge Capture and click the 'Advanced' button. You will see a setting labeled Procamp. Click Procamp and you will see a list of color settings you can adjust. As you adjust them, if you are connected to a live video source, you will see the effect these settings have on the video image as you make them.
If you are unhappy with your settings, you can click the 'Reset to Defaults' button and your USB-Live2 device will be reset to factory settings.